The monthly escape room newsletter is a new feature on Room Escape Artist. Please share your news with us.
Books & Movies
- The Escape Room, a novel by Megan Goldin, will be released on July 30, 2019. We shall review it.
- There will be a sequel to the January 2019 movie Escape Room. It will be in theaters April 17, 2020.
- Throw Throw Burrito is coming soon. It has far exceeded its Kickstarter goal… and you can still back it. Game designer Elan Lee is an avid escape room player. We beta tested it at an escape room enthusiast gathering we attended in Los Angeles last summer.
- The 2019 Cryptex Hunt begins on Friday, March 1 at 9pm Eastern. Play online and through Cluekeeper. It’s free! And yes, there will be prizes! The first person to complete the whole hunt with no hints wins a Nevins Bolivian Rosewood Cryptex. There also will be a drawing among all those who complete the full hunt by March 31 for a standard Cryptex.
- Help improve the escape room industry by participating in Christy Byrd’s study about escape room participation. This short list of questions will help improve the industry and what we understand about escape room owners and escape room players.
Los Angeles, CA
- Dream Study #114 is returning to Los Angeles for 4 Thursday night performances over the course of the next 6 weeks. Read our review from its original run.
San Francisco, CA
- Ticket sales are open for Escape, Immerse, Explore: The Palace. Visit Palace Games with us June 1-3, 2019. On this tour you will play 4 incredible escape rooms, including the Golden Lock-In Award-winning The Edison Escape Room. If you’re a traveling player, this is your chance to visit Palace Games!
- Escape Effect just opened a new 2-hour game called A Knight to Escape.
New Orleans, LA
- Ticket sales are open for Escape, Immerse, Explore: New Orleans 2019. Join us July 12-14, 2019 to visit some of the most amazing escape rooms in the world including multiple Golden Lock-In Award winners such as 13th Gate Escape’s Cutthroat Cavern. Last summer’s tour to New Orleans sold out, but we didn’t want anyone to be left out, so we brought it back again for 2019!
- Hidden Key Escape Games is opening its third game Saving Camelot. King Arthur and the Knights are away when Mordred attacks. Can you unlock the secrets to release Excalibur for the King?
St. Louis, MO
- Room Escape Artist will be speaking as part of the Escape Room City seminar series at TransWorld’s Halloween & Attractions Show, March 21-24, 2019. If you’ll be at the show, please reach out. We hope to see you there!
Santa Fe, NM
- Denver escape room company Puzzah! is opening a second location at the Santa Fe Railyard Market Station.
New York, NY
- Mission Escape Games has re-opened The Hydeout at their new Midtown location. We reviewed this game 4 years ago and we’re excited to see the updated version!
- Broken Ghost Immersive’s The Bunker is returning to The Wildrence March 9–11, 2019. Read our review from the first run.
- Puzzle Break is opening a new location in Rego Park, Queens. With locations in Long Island, Seattle, Massachusetts and on Royal Caribbean cruises, this will be Puzzle Break’s first location in Queens. They will open with Escape the Midnight Carnival, Escape From 20,000 Leagues, and The Grimm Escape.
- One Before is now open in Brooklyn. This is a non-fiction genealogical escape room/ fine art gallery is in the heart of a thriving Jewish community. The ideas project universally and they welcome players of all backgrounds and faiths.
- Angelina Jolie brought her kids to Hoodwinked in Harlem.
- Omega Escape Room is now open in Rochester, NY. You can visit them there or at their original location in Hamburg, NY.
- A licensed Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn escape room is coming to Seattle this July. Creative director Seth Wolfson, co-founder of Hourglass Escapes, was a scenic animatronic artist at Universal Studios Orlando and has sculpted/ designed wax figures for Ripley’s Believe It Or Not. “Fans of the classic film can expect… plenty of horrifying surprises.”
Brantford, ON, Canada
- There is a free pop-up 10-minute escape room designed by Scott Nicholson and his students. It will run Monday, March 4 from 1-4pm.
- Halo Outpost Discovery is going to have a traveling Halo experience that will include an escape room-style experience called Covenant Escape where players explore a reclaimed section of a Covenant ship. It will travel to Orlando, Philadelphia, Chicago, Houston, and Anaheim this July and August.
- We agree with this list of escape room pet peeves, compiled by Nate Martin, owner of Puzzle Break in Seattle, WA.
- We expound upon one of them in this longer piece about red herrings.
- Niall Horan & Julia Michaels must escape a room on the Late Late Show with James Corden to perform their song.
- Model Gigi Hadid talks with Jimmy Fallon about escape rooms (0:20 – 1:45).
- Earlier this month, Radio 1 Breakfast show host Greg James was trapped in an escape room. Listeners had to help him out.
- In this video, 5 friends enter a seemingly harmless escape room…
How To Submit News
Share your own news here!
News items include:
- Facility openings & closings
- Game openings & closings
- Special events
- Escape room-related products
- Escape room-related intrigue of all sorts
- Celebrity visits (if you have a post-game photo that we can publish)
- Escape room pieces in the general press
Send us your newsworthy information via our news submission form: