Hatch Escapes recently launched a new Kickstarter campaign to fund the launch of their largely built next game, The Ladder.
I’ll open by saying that I backed this campaign… and I’m watching it closely because nearly 3 years ago we declared the crowdfunding of escape rooms (more or less) dead.
2017 Escape Room Crowdfunding Study
At the beginning of 2017 we pulled data on all of the escape room-related Indiegogo and Kickstarter campaigns that we could dredge up and analyzed it year over year.
The results were pretty grim, showing that most escape room crowdfunding efforts failed. Those that succeeded had low goals.
We’ve been meaning to revisit this and likely will in the not-so-distant future.
Why the Hatch Campaign is Interesting
This Hatch Escapes campaign is intriguing for a few reasons:
- The $25,000 goal is ambitious.
- The most successful Kickstarter that we had identified in our 2017 study was Oubliette Escape Rooms and Adventure Society out of the United Kingdom. In 2015 it raised $16,674.
- Hatch Escapes has an amazing reputation and a strong following.
- In addition to winning a 2018 Golden Lock-In from us, Lab Rat was listed as number 8 in 2018’s Top Escape Room Project.
- The campaign, like Hatch Escapes’ games, is well written.
- The video and writing in the campaign far exceed what we’ve seen from most other escape room crowdfunding efforts.
The big question is: can Hatch Escapes buck the trends and raise enough to meet their goal?
I am truly rooting for them.
As top-tier escape room builds become more complicated and expensive, it is important for new funding methods to emerge. I would love to see a future where escape room creators with proven track records are supported in kind by the community of players.
Check out Hatch Escapes’ Kickstarter and tell them that the Room Escape Artist sent you.
And on the subject of crowdfunding and supporting creators…
Support Room Escape Artist’s Mission
The money that we make from these helps us to grow the site and continue to add more value to the community that we love so much.