Last Updated: December 26, 2021
Looking for an online escape game? This is the most common format for remote play.
What is an Avatar?
An avatar is your hands, feets, eyes, ears… your entire body in an online escape room. From behind your computer, in the comfort of your own home, you’ll direct your avatar in what to do to escape the room.
These games need to be booked in advance for specific time slots, just as one would book a real-life escape room. Remote players usually connect with the avatar through Zoom, or another video conferencing platforms.
The avatar might be dumb hands, or they might be a full-fledged character in your experience. As a character, they come in different styles, from eager to take action to fearful to hostile. However they play it, the avatar is a part of experience.
Most avatar-guided escape games:
- have a first-person camera angle. You see the physical space from the vantage point of the avatar.
- utilize a physical room somewhere in the world. The avatar is there, in the space, touching physical game components since you cannot be.
- set the story such that it makes sense for you to be remote and for the avatar to be on-site.
There are exceptions to all of the above, including in some of our recommendations below, but the constant is the avatar character who acts at your direction.
Hivemind Reviewer Favorites
- Avatar Stalker, Project Avatar (live action videogame style) 🔒
- Evil Dead 2, Hourglass Escapes
- Exorcist & The Beast 🔒, Emergency Exit (third person camera)
- Night Terrors, D’Vile’s Curio Shoppe, and Sleepy Man, Mystery Mansion Regina (horror-themed)
- Isolation, Escape Room Melbourne 🔒
- Neverland: Heist on the High Seas, Improbable Escapes
- Pursuit of Assassin Artist, OmEscape (time loop) 🔒
- The Amsterdam Catacombs Online, Logic Locks
- The Grand Immersia Hotel, Immersia
- The Heist, Agent Venture (audio only)
- The Keeper & the Fungus Among Us, Headlocked Escape Rooms 🔒
- The Traveler’s Guide to Little Sodaburg, Meridian Adventure Co 🔒
- Vanishing Act, Locurio
- Villains Lair, Fuzzy Logic (family-friendly)
- Virtual X-Caper, Agent November
- Wizards Against Lizards
🔒 Golden Lock award winning experience