What does it take to compete on the reality show Survivor? What’s the backstory on these contestants? Learn more about REPOD co-host Peih-Gee Law and what makes her tick in this special RHAP crossover episode.
Road to Reality is a limited edition series hosted by Kellyn Bechtold (@theKellynB) from Survivor Ghost Island. Listen in while she interviews former Survivor contestants about their real life and how being on reality television has had a major impact on their life trajectories. Every reality contestant has been on a story-worthy journey to land on television and yet the edit turns them into a hero or a villain or maybe something in between, but it is always just one dimension.
In this podcast crossover, Kellyn interviews REPOD co-host Peih-Gee Law about her life previous to appearing on Survivor: China and Survivor: Second Chances. In this episode, we talk about how she feels about her more well rounded edit, seeing life through rose colored glasses, how she’s moved from being a lone wolf to a creator of communities, getting lucky, and being in control of your own life experience. Stay until the end to hear her Five Keys for guaranteeing a happier life.
Special thanks to Rob Has a Podcast for sharing this episode with our listeners, and thank you to Kellyn for being a great interviewer and drawing out some introspective and vulnerable conversations.
Thank You to Our Sponsors
We are immensely grateful to our sponsors this season: Morty App, Resova, and RECON: The Reality Escape Convention. We truly appreciate your support of our mission to promote and improve the immersive gaming community.
Topics Discussed in this Episode
- [2:00] Peih-Gee and Kellyn talk about the generally reductive nature of reality show portrayals. Peih-Gee discusses the complexities of her own edit on Survivor.
- [9:00] Peih-Gee talks about channeling her anger as motivation on Survivor and the roles that emotions play on the show and in real life, especially when it comes to being a woman of color.
- [15:00] Peih-Gee and Kellyn talk about portrayals and expectations of women to be “sweet” in reality shows.
- [17:30] Kellyn talks about meeting Peih-Gee for the first time in person and how approachable she was. They discuss how the word “sweet” is coded as “submissive.”
- [19:30] Peih-Gee shares a story about meeting Libby Vincek, a contestant from Survivor: Ghost Island and how that meeting made her realize that first impressions can be misleading.
- [23:00] Peih-Gee talks about how she’s insensitive to feeling embarrassed or self-conscious and how it helps her get through life.
- [24:00] Peih-Gee talks about the fan community and projecting approachability to encourage fan meetings.
- [25:00] Peih-Gee talks about selective attention, rose-tinted blinders, and ignoring the internet haters.
- [28:00] Peih-Gee talks about dealing with adversity, not taking things personally, and realizing that rejection is not a reflection on you as a person.
- [30:00] Peih-Gee talks about the epiphany she had while on vacation as a teenager that helped her realize that emotions are based entirely on your personal perspective and suffering is in your head.
- [33:00] Kellyn talks about accepting responsibility for being cheated on and how it helped her become stronger and make better choices when it came to relationships.
- [39:00] Peih-Gee and Kellyn talk about happiness, social media perceptions, and imposter syndrome.
- [42:00] Peih-Gee shares a story about how being depressed over a breakup in her twenties led to being cast on Survivor.
- [48:00] Peih-Gee talks about the difference when playing Survivor for the second time with returning players.
- [50:00] Peih-Gee talks about trying to game the system and tells the story of how her dad snuck her a KitKat during the family visit episode. They also talk about the hunger situation on Survivor.
- [54:00] Peih-Gee talks about the importance of communities in her life, including the Survivor fan community and also the escape room/ immersive community. She talks about hosting the Reality Escape Pod podcast, writing for Room Escape Artist, and how she was introduced to the escape room community.
- [57:00] Peih-Gee talks about how her role and self-perception changed throughout the course of hosting REPOD, going from “idiot sidekick” to recognizing and accepting her role as a voice and advocate for the escape room community.
- [1:03:00] Peih-Gee shares her advice for how to find and join a community of your own, including how to find teammates for escape rooms.
- [1:04:00] Peih-Gee talks about the joys of finding the escape room community, Reality Escape Convention (RECON), and also the REA escape room tours.
- [1:10:00] Peih-Gee talks about her PeihGeePlays Twitch stream and why it ended. Peih-Gee and Kellyn reminisce about virtual hang outs during quarantine. They also discuss the power of gaming circles and making friends through gaming.
- [1:16:00] Lighting Round Rapid Fire questions. Peih-Gee talks about auditioning for Survivor China and Survivor Second Chances.
- [1:18:00] Peih-Gee shares three adjectives she would use to describe herself and how they changed over time.
- [1:19:00] Peih-Gee talks about the hardest part of being on Survivor including being hungry and feeling lonely. She says the best part was meeting the other interesting contestants, the community and also rising to the challenge.
- [1:20:00] Peih-Gee talks about thinking she could win Survivor.
- [1:21:00] Peih-Gee shares advice for her past self, including trying not to let her anger get the best of her.
- [1:28:00] Peih-Gee shares her favorite reality shows including Great British Bake-off and RuPaul’s Drag Race.
- [1:29:00] Peih-Gee shares her favorite travel recommendations including Tokyo, Japan, Koh Phi Phi island in Thailand, and Belize.
- [1:31:00] Peih-Gee talks about her favorite childhood book, A Wrinkle in Time.
- [1:32:00] Peih-Gee shares her favorite podcasts including Good Job Brain and Lateral.
- [1:33:00] Peih-Gee shares the happiness formula that changed her life.
- [1:40:00] Peih-Gee shares the story of an experiment that changed her perspective on being lucky, taking control of your life, and creating opportunities for yourself.
- [1:42:00] Kellyn talks about changing your perspective through personal mantras and repetition.
- [1:44:00] Peih-Gee talks about her song of the moment, which is the Sometimes I’m Alone song from Tiktok.
Leave us a voicemail
Got a question or thought for the podcast? You can submit a voice recording by calling the Room Escape Artist not-so-hotline that always goes straight to voicemail (551-227-7273).
Resources Mentioned in this Episode
- Rob Has a Podcast
- Hearts of Reality charity event
- Good Job Brain podcast
- Lateral podcast
- PSI Seminar podcast
- Subscribe to Patreon for bonus content.
- Support Perplexor’s Puzzles and REPOD by using our affiliate code “REPOD” for 10% off purchases.
- Please rate and review our podcast!
Thanks for listening!
Support Room Escape Artist’s Mission
The money that we make from these helps us to grow the site and continue to add more value to the community that we love so much.