Survivor is one of the best escape rooms in Athens, Greece. Here are our recommendations for other great escape rooms in Athens.
“We’re going to talk about this game forever.” -Dan Egnor
Location: Athens, Greece
Date Played: March 3, 2020
Team size: 2-7; we recommend 3-4
Duration: 90 minutes
Price: from €50 per team of 2 to €105 per team of 7
Emergency Exit Rating: We’re unsure what fire escape measures there were, if any. More Info.
Physical Restraints: [A+] No Physical Restraints
Survivor was one of those rare, unforgettable games… one of those games that left me amazed that it exists at all. Survivor was a game that – as one of my travel companions said – I’ll be talking about forever.
This game took place over 2 acts.
The first act consisted of a reasonably traditional escape room experience. The set was lovely and the puzzles were mediocre, but the weak puzzle flow was smoothed over by a helpful character who swiftly jumped in front of otherwise obvious flaws in game design. The actor did this so effectively that we honestly enjoyed what would have been a disaster in almost any other game.
The second act… I can’t spoil it. The most memorable part of this game was realizing what the second act was. The second act was a physical challenge. Great Escape’s booking page warns:
- “Not suitable for people with fear of heights.
- Athletic clothing is necessary.
- Require basic physical abilities.
- Recommended players to carry a second pair of shoes and socks.”
You can infer quite a bit from those warnings.
So the question that I’ve been pondering since playing this game was:
“Did I like Survivor?”
My feelings were and remain complicated:
- I’m glad that I played it, but this game was not for me, not at all.
- Lisa would have loved it, but she missed it due to her real job.
- I’m honestly amazed that anyone thought to build this thing, and I legitimately wonder if the building can handle the weight of this game.
I recommend this for people who like physical adventure and have good balance. (That’s my struggle, if I’m being honest.) Be prepared for a workout because Survivor was a wild ride.
Who is this for?
- The physically fit
- Adventure seekers
- Scenery snobs
- Any experience level
- A hilarious actor/ gamemaster
- The reveal of the last act 👀
We were a group of explorers traveling by hot air balloon when a storm had brought us down on an uninhabited island. We’d created a raft and attempted to leave, but another storm had dragged us back to the other side of the island, where we hadn’t yet ventured.
This side of the island was full of surprises.
Survivor felt a little like a tiki bar was turned into an escape room. It had a strong island aesthetic that persisted for most of the game… until it suddenly dropped for reasons that I’d be a jerk to spoil.
We were accompanied throughout the entire game by an actor/ gamemaster who was hilarious (and very physically fit).
Great Escape’s Survivor was an unusual escape room with a variable level of difficulty, depending upon the composition of your team.
Core gameplay revolved around searching, puzzling, climbing, balance, and dexterity.
➕ The actor was fantastic and so damn funny. He made the game with his mix of dark and sexual humor.
➖/➕ Most of the puzzles and challenges were meh… but the actor made them fun and generally covered for the problems on the fly, while adding humor.
➕ The set was cool in the first half… and utterly insane in the second half.
➖ There was water. It was easy to get wet. I do not believe that water was chlorinated, circulated, or otherwise sanitized. This presented a health and safety issue.
➖ The ending fizzled. It became repetitious and then just kind of stopped.
❓ The required high level of physical activity would render this game unplayable for some.
Tips For Visiting
- This escape game is not suitable for people with fear of heights.
- Survivor requires more physical ability than most escape rooms.
- It is recommended for players to wear athletic clothing and bring extra shoes and socks.
- If you are planning a busy day, we recommend that you book this game last. You’ll likely want to go back home to recover after this one.
- This game is available in Greek or English.
- Review our tips for playing escape rooms with actors.
Book your session with Great Escape’s Survivor, and tell them that the Room Escape Artist sent you.