This is a drill.
Location: Delft, The Netherlands
Date Played: May 12, 2018
Team size: 3-7; we recommend 3-4
Duration: 60 minutes
Price: €109 – €119 per group
The Dentist was Escape Challenge’s first game and one of the first escape rooms in the Netherlands. The Dentist may not be on the same level as the other three games from Escape Challenge, but it was still a strong puzzle-driven game with a well-designed set. If you book knowing that this game represents the early roots of escape rooms in the Netherlands, it’s especially impressive.
If you’re in Delft playing The Freakshow already, tack on The Dentist.
Who is this for?
- Horror fans
- Puzzle lovers
- Scenery snobs
- Any experience level
- Players who don’t need to be a part of every puzzle
- The opening moments
- High-end, old-school escape room gameplay
- A good variety of puzzles
- Wide open, but detailed set design
- Good lighting and sound
The Dentist was one of the earliest escape rooms in The Netherlands and had a standard plot: We were locked in the office of a murderous dentist. We needed to escape before he returned and we suffered a horrible fate at his skilled hands.
The Dentist was set in a bloodied white oral surgery room filled with steel furniture and centered around an imposing (and comfortable) dentist’s chair. There wasn’t a lot to look at, but those props they had were detailed.
Escape Challenge’s The Dentist was a standard escape room with a moderate level of difficulty.
Core gameplay revolved around searching and puzzling.
+ Escape Challenge opened The Dentist with a smart and strangely humorous sequence.
+ The Dentist was a puzzle-focused escape room.
+ We especially enjoyed employing dentist tools to solve a puzzle.
– At any given point, we had access to multiple locks with the same digit structure. Any given solution could go in any number of places about the room. We spent quite a bit of time trying combinations.
+ Escape Challenge clearly clued reuse. We liked this repurposing of discarded items.
– Escape Challenge tried something different with a lighting change. We loved many facets of this puzzle sequence, but they didn’t quite nail the cluing.
-/+ The gamespace felt a bit too open and empty, but the sparse decor made it that much more dramatic.
+ We appreciated how one in-game clue called back to our experience in the waiting room. It gave The Dentist just a bit more story and added emotion.
– The final sequence fell flat. The reveal felt under-designed and the interaction felt under-clued. It didn’t stand up to the intensity or puzzle caliber of the rest of The Dentist.
Tips for Visiting
- Drive 1 hour from Amsterdam city center.
- There is a parking garage across the street.
- All players must be able to crouch.
- Escape Challenge has two different facilities: one in Zoetermeer, the other in Delft.
Book your hour with Escape Challenge’s The Dentist, and tell them that the Room Escape Artist sent you.
Disclosure: Escape Challenge comped our tickets for this game.