Last May, we spoke at Up The Game, the escape room conference in The Netherlands.
We are honored to have been invited to speak at this conference. We had an incredible time.
Watch our talk
Up the Game is now releasing recordings of the talks from the conference. Here is our talk on The Player Experience:
Spoiler warning: We do give a couple of spoilers for games during the talk. One is for a well-spoiled moment in a famous game. The other is in a little-known one.
In each of the following vignettes, we tell a story about something that happened to us in an escape room.
Here are timestamps for the talk’s segments, as well as links to other posts on the same subject.
- 1:20 – A Study in Yellow: that time we found a urine sample in an escape room.
- 3:00 – Introductions
- 4:40 – Lost in Translation: that time when shelf and drawer were translated backwards
- 6:30 – Individual Isolation: those times when we played on our own
- 10:10 – The Coffinary Tale: that time we were locked in adjacent coffins
- 11:40 – DO[DOOR]OR: those times we saw clever design around safety (door) (handcuffs)
- 14:40 – The < 5%: that time our escape was lucky
- 16:40 – Here Comes the Judge: that time our gamemaster accused us of cheating
- 18:20 – Mandatory Hints: that time hints were actually the clue structure
- 20:30 – The Fall of Team Tequila: that time our random teammates arrived drunk
- 24:30 – Sustainable Dystopia: that time we played a game constructed from recycled material
- 25:30 – Diary of an Atrocity: those times Holocaust escape rooms made the news
- 28:40 – Brilliance on a Budget: that time the designers used their other skills to create something special within their escape room
- 30:30 – Would you could you? those times we played escape rooms around our dining room table
- 31:30 – The Car Ad: that time we played a free escape room advertising the Ford Escape
- 33:40 – A Nutcracking Event: that time theater, dance, drinks, and puzzles all came together for Christmas
- 35:20 – Your Job: Create Enthusiasts.
- 36:40 – Q&A
Silly correction from the video – Anaheim is South of Los Angeles.
We have more stories!
If you’d like to hear more, David will be giving an updated version of this talk at WroEscape, the escape room conference in Wrocław, Poland from October 27-29th. Find him there!